Friday, September 18, 2015

Utah State's Human Library to come to Logan public Library

The Human Library is being held Wednesday to Saturday. It will give visitors a chance to have a conversation with an individual, which will have a story prepared, similar to a book. This is the first year the event was held at the Logan public library on Saturday.

“People have wanted to come, but it’s hard to get up here,” said Anne Hedrich, the librarian in charge of the Human Library. “They have to figure out transportation and everything. So if we can get it off campus and where people can have parking, then that’s really good. We’re excited.”

Hedrich said at first the Human Library seems like an odd concept.

“It’s so un-technological,” Hedrich said. “It’s just sitting down with a person and just talking with them and people who do it find out it’s a real joy. We don’t get a chance to do that as much, especially longer in-depth and really thoughtful conversations where you’re both searching to understand something and explore it.”

Jason Porter is one of the "books" that shared his story. He was sexually and physically abused from the ages of six to 16.

“There was absolutely nothing I could have done," Porter said. "In my situation if I would have come forward, I wouldn’t have been believed."

Porter said the reason he shares his story is to help those that might be going through something similar.

“My aunt sexually abused me and my stepdad would physically abuse me,” Porter said. “Once you get the mentality of being pushed down it was easier for them to be like, ‘Oh this isn’t a problem.’ My aunt started about when I was six, so way too young for me to know what’s going on.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for talking with me Lee. Human Library is a great program and I love being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete